Sunday, May 2, 2010

Leap and the Net Will Appear

This zen expression was first introduced to me by a greeting card in Whole Foods Market in Vienna, VA.  Shortly thereafter it showed up in my classroom at Westbriar Elementary School to encourage my students to be risk takers in their thinking.  Now it figures prominently in my story Bring Your Tools to School which is based largely on my experience in the classroom.

With my submission for this week's critique meeting, I'm trying to follow my own advice (for a change).  Often, as I go through my oh-so-ordinary life observing the world around me, the thought bubble over my head reads "That would make a great children's book."  Sometimes, I add the idea to my list of future topics.  Sometimes, I forget the thought almost as quickly as I had it.  This month, though, I have taken bold steps to start a couple balls rolling down non-traditional paths toward publishing.  Will either of them turn into a real opportunity for me?  That is still the BIG question, but I have to say that there is great satisfaction in just following through on an idea.  Those who know me well will agree that bold and decisive are not adjectives that leap to mind to describe me.  Small victories are still victories.

One of the things that was stressed at yesterday's conference (which was terrific, BTW, and will be blogged about later in the week), was the value, nay the necessity, of making and maintaining connections in the industry.  Jay Asher, who wrote 13 Reasons Why (and has been on the bestsellers list for 60 weeks), had some fairly hilarious stories about how he went about gaining notice and making contacts at conferences.  Let's just say that if any of this pans out...it will make a great story!

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear more. Is this the same Alison who took one, no two, no three years to re-do the kitchen? Remember how well it turned out in the end? May you have that much success and more in this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara -
    You are too kind. First, because you've posted so many great comments already and second because it really was an 8 year odyssey to redo our kitchen! Which is why my sister gave me a little sign that reads "Indecision may or may not be my problem!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad for the net too. Very moving conference in reflection. I just need to get out of my own way and keep up the work. Just like Regan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison,
    Did you happen to follow Nathan Bransford's link to FinePrint Lit last week. They had a post on blogging and the importance of voice. Well, as I read your blog, it hit me that you have a great blogging voice. I shall aspire to do the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember, it's not the success that matters, it's the journey itself.

    ReplyDelete